Sunday, November 9, 2008

UNIDAD


It's difficult to find the words to describe the moment that went round the world when all our hopes became a reality. I felt unity with friends and the amazing people we have met through supporting this movement for change.
I want to sincerely thank everyone who stood in long lines to vote, who knocked on doors, who called, who marched, who emailed, who put up posters, made stickers, buttons and t-shirts, who did all they could to make this change a reality. It has been an incredible experience to connect with people around this country who realize nuestra voz counts. That new spirit felt round the world is indeed a voz unida.

As I listened to the words of President Elect Obama from Grant Park I heard a call to action:

"So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism; of service and responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves, but each other".
Barack Obama said "this victory alone is not the change we seek it is only the chance for us to make that change".

The change we seek won't happen overnight and government alone can't do the job. UNIDAD means unity and I'm hoping we all take that spirit, that energy we put into this election and do something right where we live in support of our new President.
Read to children at a local school, plant trees, make time to volunteer in your neighborhood for a cause you believe in. Channel your own gifts and abilities to solve the social, environmental, political and economic issues that hold us back. In the spirit of unidad I commit myself to painting a mural with students, parents and teachers at a public school. I hope to hear from others about their plans to make a difference so let's roll up our sleeves.

Inspired by these times and in celebration of the inauguration of the 44th President Barack Obama I am turning again to my paintbrushes with a new poster UNIDAD.

1 comment:

Fulanita said...

Beautiful job, Rafael!